Monday, July 5, 2010

dish-head

Signs Cottage roof now has a dish on it. I never thought to say this because Mr. Signs has strongly-held prejudices against dishes and when our aerial packed up we were simply going to replace it with another aerial and make do until everything goes digital in a couple of years. We are apparently so deep in the sticks here we have only ever been able to get four channels and were quite prepared to carry on like that. But the new aerial didn't work, picture was fuzzy - something to do with "all the new technology" - so Dish it is, and very nice it looks, like a small art installation, black, elegant and suggestive (of what I am not yet sure), and we can get a hundred and forty channels if we want. I don't imagine it will make a jot of difference to the rhythm of life in Signs Cottage, just that when I feel like watching TV I might find something I actually want to watch. On the other hand I might find myself faced with a hundred and forty different kinds of unsatisfactoriness and become someone who compulsively channel-hops, effing and blinding about how crap it all is, in which case it would have been better just to have stayed as we are. I will keep you informed, but don't be expecting very much in the way of reviews. It's as much as I can do to keep up with reading the juicy bits of the weekend newspapers, fave blogs and the books that lie for much too long by the side of my bed.

Still no swimming. And tomorrow I see the dentist. But a couple of new poems. Doing what I can - and how can that be a bad thing - If it's the most I can do?

7 comments:

Zhoen said...

Having a DVR made it all worth it to us. Mythbusters and Burn Notice, Crime 360 and Dirty Jobs, all there when we are ready, skipping commercials merrily. Ok, ok, I also indulge in a lot of COPS! episodes, but we all have our weaknesses.

Good luck. Enjoy the shine while it lasts, use the guide. You may well find old movies you always wanted to see but never got around to, or never even heard of.

Cusp said...

Same...dish because of 'stickness' (FreeSat) and all those channels: quite 'useful' if you're awake and want something to make you v. drowsy :O)

Hope the dentist isn't too hellish

Fire Bird said...

Good to hear about the poems. I too have books gathering dust by the bed... very good courage for the dentist visit...

Reading the Signs said...

Hi Zhoen - to tell you the truth I had to look up what a DVR actually is! But anyway, yes - am catching up with the modern world but will probably be pushing up daisies by the time I get there.

Football and tennis rule in the house at the moment, worse luck.

Reading the Signs said...

- and why the number of comments isn't showing?

Reading the Signs said...

Zhoen, I replied to you and Blogger seems to have wiped it out!

Cusp and Fire Bird - the comments area is mirroring my general flakiness and malfunctioning. Hence, although your comments appeared in my inbox, they did not appear here - which is why I have copied them.

Anyone know why this might be happening - and why the number of comments isn't showing?

Reading the Signs said...

oh for gawd's sake, now I look like a complete idiot! But Mim has commented above and that hasn't appeared.