Monday, August 8, 2011

doth make my soul to thrive




Came back from Brighton yesterday evening to find that our apple tree had fallen down. It was a good friend. The children used to climb it, fruit made lovely jelly. With us for nearly twenty years, it was always precariously connected to the earth as its other half had fallen, years back, in a storm. Something had been eating away at it - the honey fungus, perhaps, that has been stalking our garden for a few years.




There are riots in London, and lootings and burnings, everyone talking about it on Facebook. I am uneasy. Daughter says there is a siren a minute. Another shop burned down. Someone said that the youth of the Middle East riot for freedom, the youth of the UK riot for 42 inch HD TV. But the sickness goes deeper than that, I think. Certainly it is opportunistic. What is it saying to us, though - that they are disconnected, alienated and don't care? It goes further back than the Cuts. Kids on barren housing estates with what kind of culture?




Mercury is in retrograde, someone said. This means little to me, but apparently it is significant. In the words of the I Ching, it does not further one to cross the great water. Stay at home and put the kettle on, keep an eye on the news.




I lay on the trunk of my apple tree, palms against its skin. My first tree hug - my last, perhaps.




3 comments:

Zhoen said...

Always sad to lose an old friend, even a barky one.

I had not heard about the London riots, US news sucks. Frightening indeed.

Reading the Signs said...

Zhoen, it's unbelievable. I'm going to put up some photos my son took last night.

Cameron Nash said...

Thanks for thiss blog post