Wednesday, April 2, 2008

writing the dreams

Stressed of Signsville. Son of Signs has a bastard throat infection with ulcers thrown in for good measure. He is on antibiotics and gargles of every description and due shortly to go to the USA for a two-week singing tour with his group before returning to uni. Painkillers are having no effect and he suffers. It’s all looking a bit grim and I haven’t much else to say until it resolves, my psychic energies being directed to this end.

It is National Poetry Writing Month, NaPoWriMo for short (sounds a bit like a disease though). The idea is to write a poem a day for the whole of April. That’s thirty. Well I’ve missed the first two – other stuff to do, and I’ve only just emerged from Poetry Boot Camp for goodness sake. But I’ll be there, I’ll be there, I tell the angels. And make my son well, you hear me? The angels are (I have noticed this before) inscrutable.

I have, though, been given a notebook by a writing friend in London. It’s really a jotter, one of those pads you flip over and when you’ve covered all the pages on one side you turn it over and do all the pages on the other side. But it has an elastic strip holding the pages together when not being written on, and it has yellow-gold covers. I have it beside my bed and have resumed the practice of recording dreams, something I used to do but haven’t for years. The other thing I haven’t done for years is to write regularly in jotter-size notebooks. I buy those big bash-you-on-the-head A4 things. Very nice when you are up to your neck in NaNoWriMo, not to be confused with NaBloPoMo (both in November), but they are heavy, whereas my new little golden sweetheart is light and easy, will fit anywhere, take anything and give you a satisfying flip every minute or so as you cover the slim pages with words. Perfect for NaDreReMo. That’s National Dream Recording Month – I’ve just invented it so remember you heard it here first. I haven’t decided which month it should be yet, am still test-running the process. I will keep you informed.

16 comments:

Kahless said...

I am sending Son of Signs good vibes too.

I like A5 notepads personally. The Moleskin variety!

Happy poering.
(POEmwRitING)

Reading the Signs said...

Bless you, Kahless, good vibes appreciated and assimilated.

Moleskin are gorgeous but heavy on the purse!

Off to do a bit of poering now.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear your son is suffering so - hope the infection clears up really soon.

NaNoDreMo - I like that, only every month, provided I rememeber them, is NaNoDreMo around here!

I find notebooks of all sizes are necessary - big ones and little ones - to cover all eventualities.
And yes, Moleskin are wonderful - they're always on my birthday or Christmas lists because, as you say, they are heavy on the purse!

Reading the Signs said...

Thanks dear Vanilla, whatever it is seems to want to hang in there right now.

Is it NaNoDreMo you are doing (national novel-dreaming month) or NaDreReMo (national dream-recording month) - or both?

But Why? said...

Please do pass on my regards to Son of Signs. What a lovely name he has(!)

I think I would have a very easy time in NaDreReMo, as I remember very few of my dreams (assuming I have them in the first place). The last one I can remember was about a year ago, and involved some climbing, a restaurant, and being initially a little bit peeved to discover that I was going to be executed in a "sacificial lamb" role, but having had the surrounding politics explained to me, it became perfectly logical, if a little bit pissy.

Good luck with the words.

Fire Bird said...

I'm convinced these things should all be called InternaPoWriMo etc since they appear to be done with gusto by people all across the globe. I've always wondered which Na we were talking about. Enough of the pedant in me. I love the idea of an InternaDreReMo. Sometimes we just need to be given a reason to do wonderful things. Our minds are simple aninals as well as tangled like old balls of string.

Reading the Signs said...

I will do that, good Doctor Why - and yes, it is rather a distinguished name. There is also Daughter of Signs. I wonder if that makes me Mother of Signs? But no, because I came first, so to speak.

Anyway, dreams: you should definitely do NaDreReMo because then you might discover how much you actually do dream. Beginning to write them down does that. On the other hand, that dream you remember sounds a bit like somewhere one wouldn't want to go too often. "A bit peeved"? I should coco! Jolly sporting of you to be so reasonable about the idea of being sacrificed, though. I just know I wouldn't have been, even in a dream.

Tall Girl - hi, and welcome. I've been over to yours and see that you are, in a manner of speaking, in the 'po' biz. NaNoWriMo has a satisfying quirkiness to it and I think the 'Interna' would make it too long. But InternaDreReMo is suggestive of all kinds of things and sounds pretty. Yes, I like. Got any thoughts about what month would be good for such a venture?

nmj said...

I *love* NaDreReMo - you made me smile, lovely Signs. I used to keep a dream journal, but it got too tiring as my dreams are so intense & vivid & I remember most of them. Hope your son recovers soon x

Reading the Signs said...

I think you must be well in touch with your unconscious then, NMJ and don't need the NaDreReMo like some of us do. I remember some of my dreams when I wake but they kind of fade like smoke after a bit.

Son is on Cocodamol and ice cubes and still in pain. Thanks for the good wishes, my dear.

Kahless said...

Thank-you for the book recommendation Signs. I have just been looking at it on Amazon and it has really good reviews and sounds fa. I am going to uy it.

Thanks.

Reading the Signs said...

Good stuff, Kahless, I think it might be just the thing for you. Let me know how you get on with it.

Pants said...

Hi Signs

Hope SOS is feeling better.


xxx

Pants

Reading the Signs said...

Thanks, Pantaloon. We're not there yet, and he's now on stronger antibiotics. If I could be you for an hour or so I'd do a helluva rant about doctors and how they (fail to) diagnose.

Unknown said...

Both, Signs, both! But every month! ;-)

Reading the Signs said...

Very good, Vanilla. Is where I want to be too.

Kahless said...

Signs, I choose your brainstorm idea as the best one; I have a "prize" for you on my blog!