Wednesday, April 29, 2009

fresh from the words


A stunning early opening to the day: sky a deep, improbable, midsummer blue; trees and lawns lit up and light-reflecting, yet the spring wedding is still white blossoming on the fruit trees and my body registers that it is cold. The photo doesn't catch the luminescence, but I'm putting it up anyway.

There is a crystal clarity that sometimes comes in the early hours, even to such as me who wakes after feverish sleep with a sense of foreboding gathered in the limbs and around the heart. I am doing too much of one thing and not enough of another. I am needing to take stock, revise, begin again. Thank goodness that there is always this possibility, as mornings like this remind.

I’m putting up a Morning Has Broken youtube (it’s kitsch but its kindred and it’s Cat who is still good – or he was then), and I was having a bit of trouble because the only decent vids I found had subtitles that put “fresh from the world” when it should be “fresh from the word”. One letter, but a world of difference. But this one will do. Listen to the tremor (it's good, Cat) and the words - yes - by Eleanor Farjeon.


10 comments:

Cusp said...

Early morning clarity....know just what you mean and I'm lucky enough to have a similar view from my upstairs windows: always grateful to live in the countryside. At the moment I'm in awe of a incredible clematis that has grown the whole height of next door's 70' maple tree and sits aloft in a pink cushion as if the Queen Mother left one of her hats there.

I've always loved this hymn, even at school as a child --- tune and the words. Cat was great and actually I think Yusuf is great too now but in a much simpler gentle way. Did you see him last week on 'Later....'?

Reading the Signs said...

Nice description of the clematis, Cusp. I didn't see the prog - not into Yusuf but still like Cat.

Mim said...

Spring is right! Is that an apple tree? Thank you for the picture.

Reading the Signs said...

It is, Mim, my lovely apple tree - isn't s/he a beauty (gender fluidity applies here, I think).

Zhoen said...

I had a nun who played that at us in Religion class, then had us write about what it meant. Not just once, but every other class. The alternate class she played "I Am A Rock" by Simon & Garfunkle, and we had to write about what that meant.

Reading the Signs said...

Sounds a bit grim, Zhoen. I guess after that you might not want to hear it again all that often.

trousers said...

I love the photo, and your words serve to enhance it. It's peaceful and hopeful too. Those early morning moments can be an absolute joy.

I'll pass on Morning Has Broken though, just because I think it will remind me of poignant things that I would rather leave be for now. Nothing other than gentle stuff, but still.

Word ver = fidgg - endless fidgeting?

Reading the Signs said...

It's true,Trousers, I need to catch those moments more often. There is a purity about them. A good antidote to the emotional fidgg

Montag said...

Morning Has Broken was the reason I regretted the time when Cat became Yusuf.

But I am sure that the change for Cat was just like the break of dawn. Al-hamdu li'llah!

Reading the Signs said...

Yes, Montag, I believe it was like that for him. A shame about his response to the dreadful business around a certain author. I do find I prefer Cat music to Yusuf music.