Saturday, June 9, 2007

avoiding the cracks

Writing resolutions have been a bit scuppered. The usual reasons, plus keyboard suddenly not working yesterday and I only discovered in the evening that it simply wanted a new battery. So that’s ok. Sometimes I love machines and inanimate things for the simplicity of our relationship with them; they either do the job they were made to do or you get them fixed or throw them out and replace them. It does come to me, for a fraction of a second, that the Cybermen have a point – it is cursed inconvenient and impractical to be human. If I were Cyber I could just throw me out and get a new model. On the other hand, it wouldn’t write stories and poems and it wouldn’t, as Stepford Wife lamented before she was turned into a fully-functioning and serviceable machine,“be me.” Without my keyboard it can sometimes be difficult to get the words down because of the particular kind of muscle strength needed to write them down in the old-fashioned way, with a pen. Staring at a screen for too long, though, can do the head in. I have to skip about a bit, as you do when you jump from square to square without stepping onto the cracks. Sometimes it’s like that – and that’s the way it is. Skip hop.

No comments: